HITT Contracting Chief Executive Officer Kim Roy
When I was young, I knew exactly what I wanted to do when I grew up – build skyscrapers. I’ve always known that I was meant to be a builder, and following my passion brought me to where I am today. Unfortunately, many young people – especially women – lack exposure to construction and are unaware of the incredible career opportunities this business offers. Today, women comprise just 10% of the construction workforce. With more than six million jobs to fill nationwide, it’s more important than ever that we encourage women to explore careers in construction.
From project managers to pipefitters, women bring unique capabilities to every role and trade in the building world. Our challenge is not only to entice women to consider construction but also to ensure they have the resources to develop their skills and advance their careers. As leaders, it’s incredibly important that we provide advocacy, mentorship, and encouragement to both recruit and promote women in construction.
Not only do we need more women to join our firms, but we must help them grow into the next generation of leaders. To me, sending the proverbial “elevator back down” is incredibly important. I was mentored and taught by many leaders who saw my potential and believed in me. Now, I give back by mentoring women, empowering them into leadership, and creating a culture where all team members feel valued.
This week, we’ll be celebrating women in construction by showcasing the leaders and rising stars of HITT.
Check out what Kim is listening to and reading for inspiration:
- Listening to...
- 80s hits and 90s rock top the list of talented ladies' tunes on my Women Rock playlist, and I'm a Justin Bieber fan, too.
- A newbie to podcasts, I'm excited to listen to more from The Constructrr, Remodel Your Life, Design Voice, and others on this list from the Women in Construction Summit.
- I'm just finishing up "Dare to Lead" by Brené Brown, and Brett Hitt just lent me "Hot Seat" by Jeff Immelt, which I'm excited to dig into next. Reading makes me happy – I am always seeking recommendations, so tell me your favorites on social media.
- I love keeping up with news by following Construction Dive, The Wall Street Journal, and Washington Business Journal.
- For fun, I enjoy reading new cookbooks. It sparks my creative side!
Take a look at the current opportunities available on our Careers page, and connect with us today to begin your journey at HITT.